The case is Jonathan Strobel v. Samsung Electronics America Inc et al, Florida Circuit Court, 15th Judicial District, Palm Beach County.
Strobel, 28, of Boca Raton, said he was in a Costco store in Palm Beach Gardens on Sept. 9 when his Note 7 exploded.
He said the phone burned directly through his pants, resulting in severe burns on his right leg. Strobel said he was also severely burned on his left thumb, after he reached over to try to remove the phone from his pants, according to Reuters.
Samsung has received 92 reports of batteries overheating in the United States, including 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, U.S. safety regulators said.
New Jersey case
Earlier, a New Jersey man who suffered third-degree burns when his Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge smartphone exploded in his pocket filed suit against the Korean electronics company in New Jersey state court, just days after the company issued a recall for its similar Galaxy Note 7 cell phone after dozens caught fire.
The case is Daniel Ramirez v. Samsung Electronics America Inc. et al., case number unavailable, in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Bergen County.
Daniel Ramirez of California filed a consumer fraud and negligence suit against Samsung Electronics Co. and its New Jersey-based U.S. subsidiary, claiming his smartphone exploded and caught fire in his pocket while he was at work at a construction site in Ohio last March, according to Law360. Ramirez said he suffered second-degree burns to his hand and third-degree burns to his groin and lower back leg, which required a skin graft, according to the Sept. 8 complaint.
Ramirez brings claims of strict products liability, negligence, breach of implied warranty and violation of New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act, and seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages, along with attorneys’ fees.
On Sept. 2, Samsung said it would halt all sales of a similar product, the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, and replace about 2.5 million units after reports that at least 35 units caught fire due to a battery defect shortly after the phone’s Aug. 19 launch.